Ever since Navygrey first began we've been working to build a business that is sustainable in the long term. So we're proud to announce that we're now a Certified B Corp.
What is B Corp?
B Corp™ is the leading accreditation for ethical and sustainable business. In order to certify each business undergoes a rigorous assessment with over 300 questions that measure standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. The questions and scoring fall into the below categories:
Governance evaluates a company's overall mission, engagement around its social/environmental impact, ethics, and transparency.
Workers evaluates a company’s contributions to its employees’ financial security, health & safety, wellness, career development, and engagement & satisfaction.
Community evaluates a company’s engagement with and impact on the communities in which it operates, hires from, and sources from.
Environment evaluates a company’s overall environmental management practices as well as its impact on the air, climate, water, land, and biodiversity.
Customers evaluates a company’s stewardship of its customers through the quality of its products and services, ethical marketing, data privacy and security, and feedback channels.
B Corp shine a light on every aspect of a business and seek to counteract the greenwashing that is so rampant. Many businesses don't meet the criteria or score above the threshold of 80 points. We're thrilled that not only did we meet the minimum score, but surpassed it. To read more about B Corp and view our assessment please have a look here.
Business for good
Sustainability is integral to everything we do, and it has been since we began making jumpers nearly four years ago. We've laid a strong foundation and certifying as a B Corp is a wonderful recognition of the hard work that has gone into making better jumpers.
Here's a snapshot of ways that we do business differently:
- Everything we make is 100% traceable - from fibre to finished piece.
- 100% of our Scottish-sun Lamb's Wool is certified by the Responsible Wool Standard (RWS), which ensures the sheep are looked after and that the people involved at each step are treated fairly.
- 100% of our Merino Wool is certified by Woolmark, a similar standard to RWS but adapted for Merino farmers.
- We only use GOTs certified organic cotton – from our SWEATSHIRTs all the way down to our labels, it's all organic.
- All of our buttons are sourced sustainably - whether it's our ethically sourced Mother of Pearl buttons, sustainably made Corozo Nut buttons, or our recycled Horn buttons.
- We store all of our jumpers at our warehouse in Plymouth, which is powered by solar energy. Here each order is lovingly prepared and shipped.
- Every order comes packaged in recycled and recyclable packaging.
But it doesn't stop here.
As we went through the assessment we identified areas for potential improvement and we'll work towards achieving an even better score in the next few years. As a business we want to keep learning – because we believe that's the way to make better jumpers, for you and for the planet.
Sign up to our newsletter to keep up to date with what we're up to.
A note on B Corp
Currently B Corp don't recognise British Wool as a sustainably sourced fibre, and this is something we'd like to see change.
Surprisingly, had we replaced our British Wool with more organic cotton we would have received a higher score. But we're dedicated to championing this incredible fibre and the role it has to play in reviving the British knitwear industry.